"Every good mathematician is at least half a philosopher, and every good philosopher is at least half a mathematician."
– Attributed to Gottlob Frege
My name is Theodore Chu. I also go by Theo, Ted, and Teddy, but I always introduce myself as Theodore. I am a United States citizen by birth.
I'm a philosopher, mathematician, and technologist in the San Francisco Bay Area. I enjoy creating free and open-source productivity tools and writing documentation for open-source projects.
I currently work as a technical writer at Roblox to help creators of all skill levels achieve their visions. In the meantime, I'm trying to do my part to ensure that our technology, government policies, and institutional practices respect and protect our rights, freedoms, and liberties.
My formal training was focused on philosophy, mathematics, and science. I finished my undergraduate education with a double major in Mathematics and Philosophy in May 2021. My independent studies are focused on computer science, art, and technology. I'm interested in game design and development, web development, application security, cryptography, and blockchain technologies.
I like to read. Some of the books that I've read are listed on my personal docs site.
In May 2021, I joined Roblox as a full-time Technical Writer. My responsibilities include:
- Learning and using products and features such as Roblox Studio and Lua and REST APIs.
- Write technical documentation such as API reference docs, conceptual and task-based feature guides, and tutorials.
- Help drive better information architecture and developer experiences with cross functional teams such as Developer Relations, Engineering, Product, and Design.
I previously worked at Standard Notes, a free, open-source, and end-to-end encrypted notes app available on Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Web, and Linux. Learn more in my post, "Working at Standard Notes".
Please see my contact page.
Please see my photos page.
I am not active on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
I would like to thank all of my friends, family, teachers, readers, and colleagues for all of their support throughout my years. I would not be where I am now without them.
Nonetheless, all of my opinions are my own and not necessarily, in any way, endorsed or shared by them or anyone else connected to me.
These are some services that I like or support. If you sign up for them using these links, you might get discounts, or I might benefit.
- DigitalOcean - a cloud hosting service with an intuitive control panel, intuitive control panel, predictable pricing, team accounts, and more.
- StandardNotes - an open-source and end-to-end encrypted notes app
- ProtonMail - probably the best secure, encrypted email service
- Dynadot - one of my preferred domain registrars
The stats for my websites are public on Plausible, a simple and privacy-friendly alternative to Google Analytics:
Terms and privacy
TLDR: Please do not take what I say too seriously and know that I care about your privacy.