"Every good mathematician is at least half a philosopher, and every good philosopher is at least half a mathematician."
– Attributed to Gottlob Frege, a German mathematician, logician, and philosopher
A photo of me from when I was younger.
Hi, I'm Theodore Chu. I usually go by Theodore, but I also go by Theo.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was born and raised in the United States.
I'm a philosopher, mathematician, and technologist. I work as a professional technical writer, product manager, and software engineer. My current role is Technical Writer at Roblox.
- Building trust and relationships across teams and groups.
- Researching innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Finding consensus among conflicting viewpoints.
- Creating free and open-source productivity tools and documentation.
- Supporting the emotional needs of everyone around me.
My goal in life is to help people learn, think, and feel. I do that by writing documentation and creative works, leading thoughtful discussions, and creating valuable products.
My goal as a technical writer at Roblox is to help creators of all skill levels achieve their creative visions.
My goal as an individual in human society is to do my part to ensure that our technology, government policies, and institutional practices respect and protect our rights, freedoms, and liberties.
- Learning and using products and features such as Roblox Studio and Lua and REST APIs.
- Write technical documentation such as API reference docs, conceptual and task-based feature guides, and tutorials.
- Help drive better information architecture and developer experiences with cross functional teams such as Developer Relations, Engineering, Product, and Design.
- Report to our Director of Technical Writing.
In May 2021, I received my Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics and Philosophy (double major) with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. I took multiple courses in natural science, anthropology, and music. In my extracurricular studies, I enjoy computer science, art, and history. I'm interested in web development, game design, game development, information security, application security, cryptography, and blockchain technologies.
I like to read. Some of the books that I've read are listed at my books page.
I like to play cello, video games, Dungeons & Dragons, tennis, and golf. I also meditate, lift weights, run, read, write, and promote freedom and democracy.
I am not active on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Thank you to my friends, family, teachers, readers, and colleagues for all of their support throughout my years. I wouldn't be where I am now without them.
These are some services that I like or support. If you sign up for them using these links, you might get discounts, or I might benefit.
- DigitalOcean - a cloud hosting service with an intuitive control panel, intuitive control panel, predictable pricing, team accounts, and more.
- StandardNotes - an open-source and end-to-end encrypted notes app
- ProtonMail - probably the best secure, encrypted email service
- Dynadot - one of my preferred domain registrars
The stats for my websites are public on Plausible, a simple and privacy-friendly alternative to Google Analytics: plausible.io/docs.theochu.com.
All my opinions are my own and are not necessarily, in any way, endorsed or shared by anyone else. This is true for anyone who supports me as well as my past, present, and future clients.
THE WEBSITE THEOCHU.COM IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE WEBSITE.